Sunday, November 13, 2011

Hiking Adventure in Rural Morocco

Les Pieds Marcheurs is a hiking group that consists of Moroccans of all ages.  I heard about the group from one of my roommates friends and I immediately knew it was something I wanted to get involved in.  I have always loved spending time in nature, but after having lived in Casablanca for several months it has become something I seek out actively (think traffic, pollution, garbage, and noise 24/7 and you have a pretty accurate image of Casablanca).  The city is definitely a far cry from the quaint town of Kingston, Ontario, where I have been living for the past four years, but by no means am I complaining, I love this city and find long walks in the medina or along the main boulevards a great pasttime.

Ok but back to Les Pieds Marcheurs.  So naturally when I heard about the group I did the same thing anyone who grew up in my generation would have done.  I found them on Facebook.  Once I knew the details of their next trip I was convinced that I wanted to go.  I copied down the information for the registration meeting and then tried to recruit some friends to join me.  Unfortunately I was unsuccessful in finding a friend to join, so in true Sarah fashion I showed up to a meeting of strangers on my own.

As I climbed the stairs to the second level of the cafe that serves as the meeting place for Les Pieds Marcheurs I wondered who and what I would find around the corner.  At the top of the stairs I tentatively walked towards a group of Moroccans I saw sitting at some sofas in the corner.  As I approached they all looked up at me with blank expressions, waiting for me to ask them for directions or something.  When I explained that I was there for the Les Pieds Marcheurs meeting they all looked slightly taken aback, but quickly concealed their surprise by offering me a seat with welcoming smiles.  Apparently there haven't been many foreigners who have (1) heard of the group and (2) participated in a hike.

Ok let's jump to the hike.  I won't go into details because I wrote about 10 pages in my travel journal and that would be far too tedious to type up haha.  Essentially it was the most amazing experience I have had in Morocco so far.  The views, the people, the hiking, the food, the music and dancing at night, the sunsets etc etc.  Everything was just amazing and I feel so fortunate to have been on such an authentic Moroccan trip.  So instead of describing it I'll post some pictures for you.  Enjoy!

We arrived at the hostel around 4am, therefore it was pitch black.  When
I woke up, this is what the view from my window.  Not too shabby.
I had my first spelunking experience on this hike, with a head lamp and everything.  This is the cave next to the one we explored.  The entrance to the one we went into was nowhere near this big and anything more than a tight crouching position while moving it resulted in a head bang or a battered knee. 
The landscape on the hike was absolutely incredible.  I pulled an Aliza Sovani
and took approximately 500 photos over the two day hike :)

Hanging out with one of our guides during a break.   
Oh hello there paradise valley!

Paradise valley, in the other direction there are cliffs that the guys and I jumped off of.
I won't post the pictures of the cliff so that my mom doesn't faint haha.
Haven't felt my heart beat that fast/such an adrenaline rush in a while :)

Just living the dream.

You know you are becoming Moroccan when you have piled into the back of a truck with a bunch of people in the middle of the back country haha.  There wasn't enough room in the truck for everyone, so our guide was hanging out the back with the door open (his arm is the white-sleeved one that is slightly visible at the back). 

The crew.
On our way to our accommodations for the night.  Sun is starting to set over the mountains.
Watched the sun set from the room of our auberge while drinking some Moroccan tea.   

Nothing is better at the end of a hike than a swim at the beach.  Taghazout is a surf town
that is definitely on my list of places to visit again.  And who doesn't like watching
camels roam the beach as you soak in some rays?

For my next post I will share stories about my experience participating in the religious holiday Eid al-Adha with one of my friend's family.  Spoiler alert: I saw 3 sheep get slaughtered and then proceeded to help clean and cook the intestines and stomach of one of them.  That will be a post you won't want to miss :)

Cheers,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment